The Need for a New Clinic in Gandou
The medical staff in Gandou works out of a very small building (photo below) with minimal space for patient care or supplies and no running water or electricity. Here, they do their best to meet the needs of the approximately 10,000 residents of Gandou as the next closest medical care facility is a 5-6 hour walk. The doctor and nurses, employed by the ministry, address acute patient needs while also running programs focused on child malnourishment, high blood pressure and diabetes.
A larger, better equipped clinic will:
- provide a safe, clean space large enough for regular medical care delivery
- allow the medical staff to perform minor surgery & other procedures
-create the opportunity for specialty care (dental, eye, OB/GYN, other)
- provide the space required to initiate health care education
Status of the New Clinic
- We broke ground, as planned, on April 4th. Construction is expected to be finished in the 2nd quarter of 2022.
- To-date we’ve raised 79% of the $422K needed to complete construction and purchase medical equipment, furniture and other supplies for clinic operation. This means our outstanding goal for fundraising is $88K.