On the trip in June, 2017, they had started digging the footers, shown below on the left, for the new classroom building. On the trip in January, 2018, they had made a lot of progress on the new classrooms. After the classrooms are complete, the rooms will need to be furnished with desks and chairs, chalkboards. One of the existing rooms will be used for storage of the team’s equipment used during medical and dental clinics. Another existing room will be turned into a library where students will be able to use. The building project includes painting the exterior of the new classrooms. So that all the classrooms would look the same, Fr. Voltaire asked for funding to the paint the exterior walls of the existing classrooms. The school would benefit greatly if there were solar power at the school. This would provide lighting in the classrooms and a source for charging the 3 computers used to help teachers teach the different languages. Also, Fr. Voltaire asked to install a fence around the school grounds. The school staff have problems with the farm animals of some the neighboring residents coming on the school grounds looking for something to eat and interfering with recess time.Education in Gandou
Last school year, there were not enough classrooms for all the students to attend school at the same time. So grades K1, K2, K3, 1-6 went to school in the morning and grades 7-10 went to school in the afternoon. The 2 sessions for school created a lot of problems. So four temporary classrooms were built for this year. With the additional classrooms this year, all grades are able to attend school at the same time including the addition of grade 11. In Haiti the full curriculum will cover grades K1, K2, K3, 1 – 13.
Education Program Funding Needs
The people of Gandou see education as one big way of helping their young. Over the years, the Gandou ministry has been expanding their involvement in the education program. The ministry needs help with the future funding of the following:
- Providing needed chairs, desks and supplies for students.
- Providing needed chairs & desks for teachers
- Providing needed shelves & cabinets for the library
- Sponsoring students
- Supporting the college scholarships
- Painting the exterior of the existing classrooms
- Install a fence around the school grounds to keep the animals out
- Install solar power at the school.
• Classes are often conducted in the dark.
• The materials they use for teaching such as visual aids or recordings for language, need power.
• Teachers can only charge laptops, iPad or other electronic devices at the rectory. It will last one day. They need a charging station for the teachers at the school.
• More dictionaries English / Spanish, English / French, Haitian Creole / other
• Someone suggested that there are grants available in Canada or France for books in French. Could someone research this? I can testify that I have problems locating books printed in French.
• We are told that each primary teacher teaches Creole and French to all levels. Books are all in French. English and Spanish begins at 7th grade
• Printer / copy machine - needed to run the school well for so many things.Scholarship Program
How the College Scholarship Program works:
Once a student has been selected for a scholarship, he/she signs a contract agreeing to certain criteria to maintain while in college. Then after
graduation the student returns to Gandou and works for 2 years.
We currently have:
- 3 teachers who have graduated college and are now teaching at Gandou
- 1 student (Frantzette) who will graduate from nursing school in June, 2018. July is graduation (She is yet to be advised of the exam date ...the National exam is for all of Nursing...could be anytime July til December.)
- 2 students who are in their 3rd year of nursing
- 2 students who are in their 3rd year of education
- 2 students who are in their 2nd year of education
- 1 student who is in his 1st year of agriculture
Looking to the Future We have started to investigate the particulars for expanding scholarship program to include trade fields (ex. Plumber,