Mission Trip - July 9 - 17, 2013
July 2013 Mission Team
Overall Missions Goal:
• Serve God’s beloved poor.
1. Continue to build sister parish relationship and understand
current status of ongoing projects.
a. Meet with Fr. Nexcene and discuss ongoing projects.
b. Begin art project with school students to teach them art skills, to
help with economic development, and obtain items to bring
home and sell to raise money to benefit the school. Train local
teachers to continue this project.
2. Provide health care for the people of our sister parish in the
a. Run medical clinic/pharmacy and provide the best possible
medical care to the greatest number possible.
b. Run dental clinic and provide cleanings, extractions, and
restorations. Assess new Haitian dental team to determine if
using them in the future is beneficial.
c. Create ID cards for patients for best possible patient tracking.
d. Interview blood pressure program patients to assess their knowledge on hypertension and examine diet.
e. Work for the fourth time side by side with the Haitian nurse which was hired to work in our sister parish.
f. Continue with our referral program and referral patient tracking which provides the support for the people in our sister parish to
get health care in the cities of Jacmel or Port-au-Prince when we are not in Haiti.
g. Transport emergency cases from Gandou to Port-au-Prince using our truck.
h. Involve the 3 students we are sponsoring to go to university in our clinic work and allowing them to run the ID card table/computer
3. Provide opportunity for our team to experience Haiti and especially our sister parish.
Gandou Medical/Dental Team:
• 2 Haitian doctors: Dr. Andre, Dr. Ralph
• 2 Nurses: Bonnie Krekeler (St. Mary’s), Germain Giselaine (Haitian)
• 5 Dentists: Mark Gardner (Batesville), Erica Bayoneto (Cincinnati), Dr. Peterson (Haitian), Dr. Tony (Haitian), Dr. Patrick (Haitian)
• 3 Translators: Laikaard, San Luis, Dillon
• 9 Support people: Tim & Katie O’Neal (Washington DC/Baltimore), Patty Klene (Millhousen), Cindy McCullough (Camby), Dani Strobel (Batesville), Robbie Patterson (North Carolina), Aubrey Allen (North Carolina), Joe/Jennifer/Anna Rennekamp (Sunman)
Note:Fr. Nexcene was only with the group for the first two days of the trip. He left to help chaperone a group of young Haitians attending World Youth Day in Brazil. We were able to discuss many of the current projects, but some questions came up later in the week that will need discussed further when Fr. Nexcene visits St. Anthony’s in September.